Sunday, March 31, 2013

Doubting Thomas?

As I sit and watch The Bible on the history channel, I am thankful that a major network is showing this. There are, of course, a few errors and omissions, which is to be expected in a 10 hour miniseries, but they have done a pretty good job telling the story. One of the mistakes, was Thomas's confession when Jesus appeared to the disciples. I understand that they have to cut things out for the sake of time, so I can understand it been shown as happening during Christ's first appearance to the disciples. However, on the show, Thomas simply said "It is you." This shows his doubts turning to belief, but Thomas said so much more. John 20:28 tells us that Thomas said, "My Lord and my God." Peter had called Jesus 'the Christ, the son of the living God' when Jesus asked him who the disciples said he was, but this is the first recorded time that someone called Jesus God. What a great confession Thomas made that day. To this day, the term 'doubting Thomas' is used to describe anyone who has to 'see to believe'. But rather than remember Thomas's doubts, we should remember and echo his confession that day: "My Lord and my God."

No comments:

Post a Comment